Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday, August 18
Created by: Mary Rizzolo

Quote for the day:
Author: Albert Einstein

Only a life lived for others is a life worth while.
(Marcy Berlin)

Today Christen and her class were very busy – they played Alphabets, had a scavenger hunt and colored Old MacDonald coloring books.

During 2nd hour, Millie and Gabriella taught all the children from both classes a dance. The music was great and the children seemed to enjoy dancing.

Marcy, Kathi and myself read “Puff the Magic Dragon” and taught our class the song. Later in the day the children drew characters and scenes from the story. There are some very good artists in the class.

I haven’t had to play basketball for the past 2 days since teaching Nick and some other boys how to play marbles. At least I can sit down during this game.

After lunch, Christen took a power nap on the beach and then it was off to shopping. March went swimming in the pool while Kathi and I were off shopping in Amadoura. When we walked into one store we were asked where we were from. When we said America the owner said “Ah, the 2nd one today” then he proceeded to tell us he met a Christen from Missouri. Imagine that!

Sam took us out for dinner/shopping/sightseeing in another village. The food, atmosphere and entertainment was excellent. As always, I ate too much! There was a band and dancers. They performed dances from Crete, Northern Athens and modern dances. I was sweating just watching. I can’t imagine how hot they felt in their costumes and dancing. The evening appeared to be a success.

Tomorrow is Thursday, hard to believe our time here is almost over. I will miss the great meals and how welcome everyone has made me feel. They definitely treated us like family. Sam and her children have been wonderful. I hope that we all have been able to contribute at least 1 small thing to the program here. Continued success to the Global Volunteers in Crete.

0 comments: