Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuesday, August 10
Created by: Christen Bernard

Quote for the day
Author: Amelia Barnhardt

Energy begets energy
Light begets light
It is by spending oneself that one becomes rich.
(Lindsey Rosen)

Yesterday was such a great day for so many reasons. Lindsey and I had an exciting day making mouse puppets with the younger children. We were amazed by their brilliant and brightly colored mouse puppet creations. Some kids who previously were not as engaged truly excelled in this creative activity. We were so proud of them. Today, we both noticed that students had started to talk to us more.

Eva’s mom came into our classroom today and introduced herself. She was everything I have always pictured Grecian women to look like; a knock-out in her designer dress and sunglasses. She spoke English with one of those many, but none the lacking super sexy European accents that I do so lust after….

Marcy, Mary and Kathy felt their classroom was somewhat less talkative and manageable than the day before. Lindsey and I felt the same way... I wonder if this is the children getting used to us or we are getting used to them. Right now or group is submersed in an unfamiliar language, environment and culture and I wonder who is learning more—them or us.

They broke into groups today based on their abilities and they felt like this was a wise move for them. As a whole class, they felt like this made things more manageable for them. They also expressed that they felt that many of their students could recognize and read many words, they just had trouble internalizing and knowing what they were reading---this keeps them from understanding…

It has been mentioned that Mary may have an admirer. But who can blame the “little guy” for picking up on her patience and kindness. I expect the kindness of Mary to bring this little boy out of his shell and gain self confidence.

While working with Lindsey I am constantly trying to manage my thoughts and keep up with her :)You ask me who would possibly think of making multi colored mouse puppets and spontaneously become a story teller at a gelato shop---I introduce to you Lindsey. I am thankful she is my partner as ideas are coming out of that mind of hers faster than I can write. Constantly, I have to stop myself to search for my notebook and write her ideas down, because they are simply amazing. Selfishly, I figure I will probably not have time to use all of her ideas while she is here, but I still have a week without her!! I’m jotting this stuff down while she is here!!

Lindsey and I walked through Iraklion and got lost—in fear of missing dinner time we took a cab back to the hotel. We took pictures of each other doing silly things and Lindsey taught me how to do interesting close ups… We looked at agrological features that proceeded the 16th Century as we snacked on what Lindsey said the best fruit drink she had ever had and some pretty tasty gelato. The other ladies seemed to have gotten more lost than we even did!

Once again I am amazed by the kindness of another nation. Many have told me to be careful going to a foreign country all by myself, but upon entering Greece I have experienced nothing but kindness from its people. I feel blessed to be a part of this amazing experience. With Kathy’s religious interests, Marcy’s travels throughout the world, Mary’s kindness and ability to step back and noticed children that don’t always take initiative and Lindsey’s vast amount of creativity and knowledge about teaching children. Sam’s vast travel experience and ability to manage her beautiful family while being a team and country manager---- I can tell that I have a lot to learn from these ladies. I hope I take these things into consideration---as I search deeper into myself throughout this journey.

0 comments: